Friday 24 June 2011

RACEGUY Restrained

No I’m Not Mad At You

I want everyone to know how truly sorry I am for this article being so behind schedule, and that a number of other elements have  also been late over the past couple of days. It seems every time I managed to get something in motion, something more important like Justin Foreman’s misfortune or the Cooke/Medaglia school came up and pushed the less headline-worthy material to the back burner.

It’s not like these other ideas haven’t been occupying space in my already overcrowded cranium. Many of them were taking shape even while the web site itself was refusing to let me in.

Because of the nature of the way you may perceive what I’m about to say, the delay even included writing this editorial and sitting on it for an additional day before dredging up the guts to hit the “publish” button. In the long run, I decided, while you may not agree with me, that I would be disappointed with myself if I felt one particular way and just kept my feelings to myself.

I have been thinking a lot about all the miscellaneous but somehow interconnected happenings over the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the only way I can categorize most of it into one convenient folder is to look at the one obvious central theme. Disappointment. (The common denominator.)

Maybe you grew up with one of “those” parents. Maybe you ARE one of “those” parents, or maybe you just end up dealing with one. These people have even been known to invade the workplace, clearly demonstrating that they can also be one of “those” bosses or co-workers.

Everything has gone to hell in a handbasket. Life is out to get you (maybe even the mafia and the bird flu) You have done your best, but everything has gone wrong. You’re raging and “venting” because you know nothing can make even the end of the world turn around like…well, like one of “those” …  you know the type ...
“Honey/dude/buddy/etc., you know I’m not at all mad/upset/pissed-off/homicidal/ ***/etc. at you. I don't feel like killing you at this moment, I’m just really, really disappointed.”

There seems to have been a lot of that lately. I was incredibly disappointed when we couldn’t get your results posted from Mill Hill, and more disappointed with those who could have helped  but treated it like it was a second-rate concern and something that could be dealt with “whenever”. Many of us “live and die” by those numbers. Many were plenty P/O’d that the results they expect as a function of their racing license took so long. I was disappointed with the whole scenario.

I was also completely crushed that a first-rate track and organization like Mill Hill was so poorly supported that there were classes too small to make a gate, and even MORE disappointed that, after their cries of “bloody murder” when taken off the Mill Hill race schedule, the ATVs showed up in such poor numbers this Spring that they made for an uninspired Junior class and not enough Pros to even qualify for points. There were, in fact, more 4-6 50cc riders than Pro Quads. I applaud the guys who DID show up, but I’m just a little…yes, disappointed in the others.

Just so you understand this concept of “disappointment”, the injuries suffered by David Estabrooks and Kyle Doiron made me sad. The incessant rain that came and went all day Sunday, and the cold wind that didn’t belong in June, made me mad, just like the bad drivers on our highways as we head for the racetrack.  Unfortunately, it was the way Blaine Prest, his people, and that race event were treated that left me truly disappointed.

Maybe it doesn’t take a lot to disappoint me, but after surrendering my dignity and unloading on everyone at the Riverglade riders meeting, there were just as as many mis-numbered/un-numbered bikes at Mill Hill as there were at round-3. That disappoints me.

While I’m not “mad”, “P.O.ed”, “disgusted”, etc. about any of these and other inconveniences. I am ALL of these and a whole lot more about our embarrassing treatment of Jeremy Wallace and his masterpiece race facility, whether it was an event for points, cash, or carnival teddy-bears.

To be offered a fully organized day on a classic racetrack that would be at home anywhere in North America, or the world for that matter, and to simply turn your back on that gift when it’s held out with no strings attached, leaves me in that place that is somewhere between unhappy for you and totally P.O.'d at you. That is a place called disappointment.

Wallace is a rider, and a rider to be admired for the way he ran his far-too-short race career. This young man has now invested more than a year of his personal time. intellectual, and emotional energy, and enlisted many of HIS own personal friends, (both moto and non-moto). He put at a huge risk equipment (that is normally used to MAKE money) - equipment costing in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If it breaks, it stops making money and starts costing in a big way.

Jeremy spent, by some estimates, well into the six figure mark on diesel fuel alone. (That’s more than I paid for my house) I still have a hard time believing how many tandem loads of topsoil were both bought and brought.

We (the users of Mt. Thom’s MX oasis) were treated to a permanent-structure canteen, dry level parking, a great (efficient) admissions/access gate set-up, fencing, signage, infield access roads, TWO infield towers, port-a-potties in three if not FOUR different, easy-to-find little suburbs of scat, run-off barriers, water on site, a Woodstock-worthy PA, and a track that was made for cameras. …Oh, one more thing. Whether you were there as a rider, spectator, or track worker, your medical requirements were being looked after by the absolute highest level of emergency attention in Nova Scotia just this side of your local ER.

So where does anything resembling disappointment come in when I’ve just described nothing short of a dream with dirt!? Let’s just start by saying Jeremy Wallace was devastated. I was, (along with many others), embarrassed for our sport. We were all avoiding eye-contact with everyone else.

So, given the situation as it exists in our sport, as any student of that old “person-to-person” (child rearing) philosophy would point out…while “someone” made a bad choice and probably the wrong decision altogether, the parties harmed show no disdain, or animosity, or lack of respect, or “hate” for our transgressor. So, hoping an attitude can be contageous, you opt for the high road and simply respond with what you feel you can control. That is simply the expression of your disappointment.

The fact that we are having issues of any kind, here in the most effective region in Canada disappoints me. The current situation in Ontario that has prompted open, public responses (blogs) from luminaries including Brett Lee and Steve Dool disappoints me. The MX101/Moto Park group has been studying and tweaking things. The gang at Gopher Dunes are carefully experimenting with ideas to improve their day and eliciting feedback all the way. I am just the opposite of disappointed with the positive signs I see from these guys. I am ENTHUSED.

We have suffered a couple of less-than-successful weekends. My disappointment, and I’m sure that of both Jeremy and Blaine, is directed at many here in our own community. Don’t expect real motocrossers to just get disappointed, discouraged, and dig a hole to crawl in to. This latest single-jump isn’t really much of an obstacle. The right people will again band together, buff out the rough spots, and help any of those who still don’t get it find a way to the exit.

This site gets VERY few comments, but is still read by over 200 people every day. I appreciate every single communication no matter where it comes from. I especially appreciate comments left here. You don’t have to leave your name. You can remain anonymous. There is also NO way for me to see who has visited or the names of anonymous contributors. Look just below this article and click on the word “comments” to read and reply.

(Our last visitor -post went along with the post named "RACEGUY Recovers" to the archive. Just click here, then click "comment" http://raceguysroom.blogspot.com/2011/06/raceguy-recovers.html )

The most unfortunate aspect of our last visitor-post, while written by someone who seems to know a little about the sport, and who also appears to have actually taken in some races this season, is that it comes with reasonable critique and suggestions on how we can be better.

I find it hard enough to face up to the facts that we need to start fixing things when it comes from INside our little community. We now have to face up to the fact that our average fan is also noticing. For that, I could be angry, or vengeful, or unmoving, but instead, I am simply truly crushingly disappointed.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Larry, reading your blog, especially the parts about the terrible lack of support for the Mount Thom track, really hit home, and reflects what I personally felt and heard from almost every person I spoke with that day. What an awesome track, what an awesome central location, what awesome organization. And yet embarrassingly few attended. No wonder Jeremy was devastated! What should have been a totally wonderful day from start to finish, was instead, a day of shame and regret. Shame at how the Atlantic Motocross community at large turned their back on all Jeremy had done and offered, and regret that that same community had for the most part, missed out on what should have been one of the greatest MX events of the year. I also had people suggest that RiverGlade give up one of their several events this season, and donate it to Mount Thom. The feeling with those suggestions was the need to do what the authors felt "fair". Thank you Larry for this blog, thank you for your input, thank you for the opportunity to respond.
    Wayne Simpson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motocross is exciting. Kids love it and it can be great all-weather family fun. So from my perspective, just a fan, I'm disappointed in two things. As willing as I am to turn a race weekend into a road trip of several hours both ways, until I found this blog on twitter, I might never have known there were more than a couple of tracks. There are a lot of ways to promote on the cheap, how can you attract sponsors if you don't encourage fans who will encourage other new fans?

    My other disappointment is the commitment of the riders to growing the sport. If I never knew who I was going to see from one race to the next I wouldn't watch NASCAR or SX or any of the usual motorsports I follow. It's not a pick and choose thing. Are there organized teams? How do I know you? Why can't I ever find a program? If it weren't for your excellent verbal skills I would have no idea, as a fan, who is who and what sponsors I should try to support.

    The point is I have to search very hard to find out there are organized races or in fact, even that there is a regional series. My first race was a national at Riverglade and while they have done a fantastic job, others need to step up. I'd like to make it clear the tracks I have been to are all great facilities and I have no complaints about them. I have never been disappointed in the facilities.

    Should I have to rely on Raceguy's free blog to get all my information? Then rely on his announcing skills to teach me even the basic things I should know? I've been following MX as a fan for a long time. I enjoy motorsports and know others who do as well. If I wasn't more of a fan than I am I would not know the sport existed in the region or be tempted to try it. If I was a new fan and got hooked on a race at Riverglade (where you have to beat off riders with a stick) and went to my second race at that beautiful Mount Thom facility, I would probably decide this must be a clique-thing, one of those sports that is not for the entertainment of the general population, just something for racers and their families when they decide to show up.

    Do you want to be a serious sport? I mean a spectator sport? Or is it a club thing? You probably have one of the best resources for strategies to grow your sport right under your noses. He probably spends a lot of his own, unpaid time writing this blog and like the man who posted above, I'm thankful for that. Maybe you should have the open discussion about spending a few bucks to build the series, then show up to prove it's worthy of fan support.

    Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to my brother on reaching over 10,000 readers already. Great blog Larry and I tend to agree with the comments above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. after reading the last post on here about being disappointed about the numbers of the atv's i would just like to say i cant speak for the rest of them but as for me i showed up to clyde a 3h 45m drive to line up at the gate see the 5 sec sigh and my quad shuts down and cost me well over 600 to have it running again for kingston.. i get to race the first moto to find out that it wouldent start back up for moto number 2 witch in the end costed me another 500 to get it working for riverglade to find out that my parts would not be in intime for that race and still no in intime for the by fare best race track in alantic canada mt thom i wanted to be there bc i love that track iv been there over 8 times from when it was just a lay out in the hill to where it is now.... and now i just dont have the money to stay in this sport this season..im sorry in your disappoint in me/the quads but i just cant afford it any more this year....haayer #314

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernie, I have heard stories like yours coming from riders around the globe. I feel for you and certainly understand that failures and injuries are normal in our sport. No one holds any hard feelings against you or anybody who has a valid reason for not attending an event. Mill Hill didn't draw enough Pro quads to qualify as a class. The Junior class had 6 riders. Again, that is at a track that once took a rediculous amount of heat when they said they were taking quads off the schedule. Now, the schedule includes quads but almost nobody shows up. Then, just days later, the quad classes draw 12 Juniors and 9 Pros... that's more Pro riders than the total combined Junior and Pro turnout at Mill Hill. I wasn't taking any shots at anyone. I was simply expressing my disappointment. Thanks for leaving a comment. Thanks also to the other folks for their thoughtful comments. CHEERS, all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Flying Father" Paul Doucet27 June 2011 at 12:25

    After reading the reviews last year from those who had experienced Mt. Thom, I was pumped to go there and check it out. My injury from my first and last race in Nova Scotia (for now) would be career ending for any Pro (read races actually for a living) according to one of my surgeons who has worked on a lot of mxer’s bones from both sides of the international border in South-Eastern Ontario, and he is also a young doctor who knows our sport. So…that meant I had to wait until this year (even though I was told to sit out (read NO MX RIDING PERIOD) this entire season also); Good Lord I was disappointed when the date for Mt. Thom was released as my “job” dictated it would be absolutely impossible to go…even as a spectator. My close friends and neighbours couldn’t go for their own reasons, but a day trip (4 hours one way) is in the planning stages to go and practise there, to support Jerewmy, who by the way, is a great guy.

    Last Saturday, Strang’s weekend, I made the 4 hour trip to Mt. Thom to putt around the track all by my lonesome for a half hour or so until Jeremy himself came out and joined me and I could twist the throttle a little more. Some of you may laugh because you remember how slow I was when I was racing, but ask those who have seen me this year at KRod Racing in Norton, and they can tell you I have really picked up the pace this year. Why am I saying all this? I want to promote this sport; I go to KROD whenever I can – an hour and a half one way, and about $60 for fuel. Here’s another story not unlike Jeremy’s except in scope. We in the central and western part of New Brunswick have been crying for a track for years, now we have one and hardly anybody goes...about seven riders per night. Rodney grooms that track two or three times per week. WHERE’S THE MX COMMUNITY TO SUPPORT HIM?

    We have some good people in the region providing us with great places to ride, practise and race; USE IT OR LOSE IT!

    May as well keep my rant going with another issue: do you complain about the flagging at the races? Unless you’re at least willing to do it yourself when you’re not racing or wrenching, then don’t complain. I said last year that the races I would be able to attend this year, I would offer to flag; I wasn’t needed at River Hollow…or Foxglade (which was it Larry?), but a called Richard also ahead of time for his race and he needed another flagger. Bonus! I even got paid for it! It was a win win win for all – me, Richard, and the racers. The MX community has to do a lot more to support this, the best sport in the world, if we want it to continue to grow and to be taken seriously by others. Racers, family members, and promoters/owners must do more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a Track owner, we know low numbers hurt. We attend every race, even Mt Thom. For our kids they love the weekends, spending time with their friends from all over Atlantic Canada. As parents we save $$, cause we too enjoy the people. We look at it as camping every weekend. In reality the current economic times are felt by all. This has to be the main reason peole are not traveling to every race. We as track owners do understand the cost of racing, and don't hold it aginst people for not showing up. We only hope they come & have a great time, like we do. heres to summer coming, the sun shining and the sport growing, and gas prices going down..Take care all & have a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was a shame more didn't turn out for mt thom , it is quite the track , it deserves very high turnouts , i'l have damon #77 there at any race he has

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mt Thom facility sounds fantastic. Jeremy's vision and commitment are remarkable by all accounts. I can totally relate to that sick-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach feeling when you put it all out there and folks just don't show up. Persevering will pay off. Well done Larry to use your public platform for a carefully considered call to action!

    ReplyDelete